Friday, January 16, 2009

"Today, I'm the greatest"




Ricky Henderson sure does have a way with words. Perhaps he was not the best when it came to the way he spoke of himself. He at times came off to be all about the money. He by no means was perfect. It must have been something, a personality flaw that kept 6% of the voters from voting him into the Baseball Hall of Fame. Luckily 94% of the voters did not have their heads lodged up their asses.

94% is pretty good. Some former ball players, like Pete Rose or Mark McGuire would kill for 70%. The only problem I have is that Ricky Henderson should be a first ballot Hall of Famer with 100% of the vote. I won't get into why. I won't mention that he is the all time stolen base leader. Did I mention how he has the all time runs scored record and more lead off home runs than anybody, ever.

You see, I can remember hating Henderson when he stole that base and shouted "today I'm the greatest." He was a jerk to me. But that does not change the fact that he was perhaps the greatest lead off hitter of all time. So who are these 6% of the voters who did not vote for Ricky. I think they should have their voting privilege's revoked. But they won't. Maybe that is a little harsh. Maybe there is a reason they did not vote. Maybe they slept all day with them black shades on, woke up with a Quaalude and couldn't vote because they were in a coma.

No comments: